Friday, September 18, 2009

Bureaucracy, Merlion and storms

I got back from HK last night with an extremely runny nose and a bit of a cough. Everytime I sneezed, the people sitting next to me edged further and further away, presumably fearing the dreaded swine flu! But no matter...

This mornign we had our direct experience of the Ministry of Manpower and I have to say that it was the most efficient, friendly and helpful experience of bureaucracy I have ever had in my entire life! The whole experience took 30 minutes from arrival to departure, they prioritised us because of the kids, the fingerprinting was electronic and extremely fast and you're allowed to smile for the photos. Amazing.

After that we went for a walk down the river and to Merlion which Felix has been asking about since he first saw it in a book. Unfortunately the camera had a flat battery and while I took pictures on my Blackberry I can't seem to get them off. Anyway, this was the first time I ever visited Merlion, despie having lived here for over 4 years previously. It's kind of cool, and Felix liked it, but I'm not sure I'll be making it part of our standard Singapore tour.

On the way there we got a little lost and overshot. As a result we ended up next to the Esplanade Theatre building. This famously looks like a Durian but luckily smells quite nice! I'd like to check this out a bit more. The Grand Prix is on in a few weeks as well so the whole area is getting ready for that, with large barriers being erected. The papers are full of scandal about cheating in last year's Singapore GP. It's a bit deal over here!

The weather was suppsoed to feature 100% humidity today which meant that although it wasn't super hot, we were all sweating. Then the skies opened with a massive rain storm. We retreated to Starbucks, Abbie's new favourite place, and then caught a cab home. This afternoon we're looking at an apartment and then getting ready to watch the AFL final on the telly!

No comments:

Post a Comment